Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Charles and Camilla Have a Fit of Uncontrollable Laughter Upon Hearing a Performance By Authentic Inuit Throat Singers

I know exactly how they feel. The same thing happened to me and my husband when, years ago, we first heard this kind of singing at the annual folk festival in St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador. (Admittedly, the fact that the "singers" were an elderly, gnome-like twosome, a husband and wife, was an added spur to our peals of inappropriate laughter.)


Update: You knew this was coming--Charles and Camilla accused of disrespecting throat singers. Expect an abject royal apology in five, four, three, two...

Update: I am reminded of the time, many years ago, when our friends were visiting from the Netherlands with their then-young children. (These friends ended up immigrating to Canada and are now Canadian citizens.) Their two kids, a girl and a boy, both under the age of ten, neither of whom spoke English, began to laugh hysterically when they heard Louis Armstrong singing (on an Ella and Louis CD) for the first time.

Were they being "racist"? "Disrespectful"?

No, sir. They were simply reacting to what, to them, was a very strange voice, one they had never heard before.

Same deal with Chuck and the wife (and me and my husband), I'd say.


No comments: